O Lord and Master of my life! Take from me the spirit of sloth, faint-heartedness, lust of power, and idle talk. But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to thy servant. Yea, O Lord and King! Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother; For Thou art blessed unto ages of ages.



Amen



Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book Review

It's been a long Lenten season for me and I've stayed away from much of the blogging world during it.  Some of it was intentional and some of it came from just being so crazy busy.  There hasn't been too much time left over to go on the computer.  And when there was time, husband dear would throw "that" look my way.  Thus no computer.

There have also been lots of books added to my reading list.  There are a few books I want to post about but I'll wait until after Easter to do so.  Today I wanted to post about this...

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time

I joined a book club through my county library and this was the newest book to read and discuss about. I thought it was FABULOUS.

Why?
Well it was a glimpse to a people truly not seen enough.  It was about simple people, people like my mother frankly (no, she is NOT Muslim).  The people from this story are poor, humble, fair and uncomplicated. 

On a side note:  I know the ugliness of extremists.  I've been in enough conferences and discussion groups about Islam to know what many think about Islam.  This is not a post about that nor do I want to go there.

The book is a gem.  One man began a journey to climb a huge mountain, K2.  He failed.  In that failure  a new path was opened.  It led him to a remarkable journey.  He found a bigger mountain to climb in the poverty of small villages all through out Pakistan.  Greg Mortenson met children so in love with education they would endure the severe cold, sit without a teacher on the frozen ground and use the dirt floor as a writing tablet.  Mr. Mortenson dedicated his life to these children.  Opening schools throughout the most remote, forgotten villages of Pakistan. 

I personally liked it, though I heard that some from the book club 'hated' it.  Should make for an interesting meeting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind remarks are always appreciated :-)

Translate


CurrClick

CurrClick
Educational Resources

Our Lady

Our Lady