O Lord and Master of my life! Take from me the spirit of sloth, faint-heartedness, lust of power, and idle talk. But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to thy servant. Yea, O Lord and King! Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother; For Thou art blessed unto ages of ages.



Amen



Wednesday, April 13, 2011

and yet another Book Review

Once a month a group of the most amazing youths come over to my house for a book club.  We started this club to engage in some literary discussions while sipping tea and munching on cookies.  I have to say that I love my group of 10 teens.  They are bright, strong (headed), goofy and I just adore our time together.

The Mysterious Benedict Society

The kids choose the books we read; but once in a while I come across stories that need some attention too.  The Mysterious Benedict Society is just one of those books.  Some where in this bloggin' world I heard about The Mysterious Benedict Society, I wish I could remember where :).  It's the first of a trilogy and involves 4 of your most brightest children in the world, adventures and friendship. 

There is a lot packed into this first book.  
More than adventure the book delves into issues of abandonment, insecurities, loyalty and control.  We are invited to join eleven year old Reynie Muldoon as he answers a newspaper ad calling for "gifted children looking for special opportunities."  He joins an elite group of kids through riddles, twisted plots and turns.  Their goal, to save the world from the controlling (and loony) Mr. Curtain.

As a parent there was nothing in the book that would give me caution.  Most sites rate this book for grades 5-9, but as an adult I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind remarks are always appreciated :-)

Translate


CurrClick

CurrClick
Educational Resources

Our Lady

Our Lady