Shrove Tuesday is the last day of what traditionally was called "Shrovetide," the week preceding the beginning of Lent. The word itself, Shrovetide, is the English equivalent for "Carnival," which is derived from the Latin words carnem levare, meaning "to take away the flesh." (Note that in Germany, this period is called "Fasching," and in parts of the United States, particularly Louisiana, "Mardi Gras.") While this was seen as the last chance for merriment, and, unfortunately in some places, has resulted in excessive pleasure, Shrovetide was the time to cast off things of the flesh and to prepare spiritually for Lent. Actually, the English term provides the best meaning for this period. "To shrive" meant to hear confessions
~ Catholic Culture
This is my favorite season of the liturgical year. We are going to have a mix bag of pancakes and a dish packed with meat for dinner. Then I'm off to assist with the confirmation class and we are in for a super treat with Fr. S beginning our evening with a talk regarding Lent. Since he just returned from a retreat with fellow priest, I'm sure he is on FIRE right now and ready to feed the flock.
For my kiddies though we've had a day of music, lessons and Mardi Gras fun...check it out:
I wanted the kids to know whey there are 3 specific colors used on Mardi Gras
So I used a simple chart I made for them to fill in the meaning as we spoke about each color
(it's an easy little download I made and you may use it if you like)
Purple is for Lent signifying Justice
Gold is for Easter signifying Power
Green is for Epiphany signifying Faith;
We then moved on to make Mardi Gras masks. We used a simple template from here first found by Charlotte.
We spent some time on these, talking about our human mask. The easiness of hiding our sins behind such masks but how our real selves are always seen by God.
Our real selves are always so much nicer and the masks are fun to use for play. But I really wanted the kids to understand that the play of 'Mardi Gras' as seen on T.V and such isn't what we celebrate. As Fr. S stated tonight (I had to finish this post after my class) we enter into Lent to shed ourselves of what keeps us fulling from God. We don't party it out on 'Fat Tuesday'. We use today to prepare our way as we enter this time of Lent.
Look at those smiles...
Now for the morning and the start of Lent!
God, heavenly Father, look upon me and hear my prayer during this holy Season of Lent. By the good works You inspire, help me to discipline my body and to be renewed in spirit.
Without You I can do nothing. By Your Spirit help me to know what is right and to be eager in doing Your will. Teach me to find new life through penance. Keep me from sin, and help me live by Your commandment of love. God of love, bring me back to You. Send Your Spirit to make me strong in faith and active in good works. May my acts of penance bring me Your forgiveness, open my heart to Your love, and prepare me for the coming feast of the Resurrection of Jesus.
Lord, during this Lenten Season, nourish me with Your Word of life and make me one with You in love and prayer.
Fill my heart with Your love and keep me faithful to the Gospel of Christ. Give me the grace to rise above my human weakness. Give me new life by Your Sacraments, especially the Mass.
Father, our source of life, I reach out with joy to grasp Your hand; let me walk more readily in Your ways. Guide me in Your gentle mercy, for left to myself I cannot do Your Will.
Father of love, source of all blessings, help me to pass from my old life of sin to the new life of grace. Prepare me for the glory of Your Kingdom. I ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Kind remarks are always appreciated :-)