As a homeschooling family the events and discussions around the table never fail in the area of imaginative and intriguing. There are vast topics for each child to choose from; especially since the age range in our family is spread across the spectrum, high school to first grade.
So it came to no surprise when Cecilia seriously asked Lucy this morning, "So Lucy, tell me what you think your future children will look like?" She continued to inquire about 'how many boys she'd like to have verses the girls'.
Lucy thought for a while, perking up her head from the isosceles and the 30 degree - 60 degree triangles staring at her from the geometry book. Which, by the way, are just additional ways of finding the lengths of an isosceles triangle, per Lucy. (insert a confused mother's look here with the words "HUH?" over it... that would be me)
But, Lucy answered Cecilia, that she may be called to be a sister and thus, have no children of her own.
I glanced up from my coffee and history paper I was reviewing from another child, who was patiently waiting for his paper back.
A sister! Really! Cool! First, I've heard about this new thought to her future. Sweet!!
Cecilia must have been equally as shocked as I was because her answer was classic, Cecilia.
"But, Lucy you already are a sister!"
Foolish 15 year old, Cecilia must have thought. LOL
Lucy went on to tell her she was open to God's calling for her, whatever that would be. But, that being a sister would mean she would be Jesus' bride forever and thus join an order of religious sisters. She didn't know yet whether she was called to be one or not, but she was open to it.
And here is the real kicker! "So Cecilia, you should also be open to what God calls of you", continues Lucy.
Yes! The mother in me wanted to yell out. I didn't of course because I was still deep in the Paleolithic Era in that paper. Plus, the conversation wasn't with me. I'm polite that way.
Cecilia has been around many religious sisters, Carmelites of Alhambra mostly. So she got it.
The conversation ended. And Cecilia went back to wondering why, oh why, does the TH tickle when you sound it out.
I love the homeschooling table... such fun topics!
Of course, within the hour two of the four were then arguing over the loudness of the piano player and the other was upset that she still had to work on subtraction. Uh well, the morning was good :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Kind remarks are always appreciated :-)