Yesterday, I posted our reads for this Advent & Christmas season. I thought, today, I would do an introduction to the new reads on the list. And add the book(s) that Lucy will be reading.
For Lucy
Since she is the older kid (15 to be exact) she'll read along with us all the story books we have but she'll ask for something older for her list. I like to give her a little more meat to digest with her readings anyway. Last year we read Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce, which was super good and thought provoking. This year we opted for these two books:
and
This one is carried by our library
New in Picture Books
by Sue Wright
With a surprise at the end, there is the telling of the focus of Christmas and an introduction to luminarias. Luminarias have been used in various forms by different cultures. Mostly by the Spaniards and in Latin America, they serve in offering light along dark paths. Isn't it telling, that here these little flickers of light lead us to Jesus?
Finding this book at a book store was a SCORE!
It's so cute and will go nicely for our plans for the third week of Advent.
"Deep within Joe Bracken's woods there is a tree. But this isn't just any old tree. This is a very special fir tree where animals go to seek shelter. From a top branch, a clever raccoon hides from a hunter and his dog. After flying away from Mrs. Bracken and her wash water, a dripping wet blue jay dries his feathers. And it isn't long before other animals discover the friendly old tree that protects them from harm"
It's a POP-UP book!
Another find from our local book store. If you can get your hands on a copy I highly recommend it. The illustrations are beautiful and not at all cartoonish!
I'm not sure yet about this one yet.
From what I've read, the illustrations are beautiful and the book is worth getting alone for how it portrays Our Lady. There are these comments that I saw though,
"Though the previous reviewer is right, there is the one line about Our Lady being pale and in pain, the rest of the book is beautifully written and amazing in all ways."
I'm going to still check it out and probably skip over anything too far off when describing Our Lady in Bethlehem.
Off to plan now...
and clean!







No comments:
Post a Comment
Kind remarks are always appreciated :-)