Ours are not wrapped, yet. Perhaps I won't get to wrapping these up this year. For some reason I can't find purple wrapping paper without paying a ridiculous amount. Gold for our 12 days of Christmas books were less pricey, so those are good to go. I'm going by last year's list of readings , with only a few variations to make room for some new books. But I'm pretty excited about this year's list.
~ Advent Readings ~
November 27 :: Prairie Christmas
November 28 :: The Gifts
November 29 :: The Candle in the Window
December 1 :: Merry Christmas, Strega Nona
December 2 :: The Christmas Candle
December 3 :: Country angel Christmas
December 4 :: Jingle, the Christmas clown
December 5 :: Saint Nicholas
December 6 :: The Miracle of Saint Nicholas
December 7 :: Home for Christmas
December 8 :: Mary, The Mother of Jesus
December 9 :: The Lady of Guadalupe
December 10 :: The littlest angel
December 11 :: Through the animals' eyes : a story of the first Christmas
December 12 :: The Story of Our Lady of Guadalupe Empress of the Americas
December 13 :: Lucia, Saint of Light
December 14 :: Corgiville Christmas
December 15 :: The Legend of the Poinsettia
December 16 :: Night of Las Posadas
December 17 :: Christmas in the Trenches
December 18 :: Spirit child : a story of the Nativity
December 19 :: The Christmas Promise December 20 :: Bright Christmas: An Angel Remembers
December 21 :: Papa's Christmas gift : around the world on the night before Christmas
December 22 :: The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
December 23 :: The First Christmas Stocking
December 24 :: The Night Before Christmas
~ Christmas Reading ~
December 25 :: The Very First Christmas & Tonight You are my Baby: Mary's Christmas Gift
December 26 :: Father and Son: A Nativity Story
December 27 :: An Angel came to Nazareth
December 28 :: All for the Newborn Baby
December 29 :: The Twelve Days of Christmas
December 30 :: The Story of Christmas: According to the gospels of Matthew and Luke
December 31 :: The Little Match Girl
January 1 :: Mary, Mother of Jesus
January 2 :: The Clown of God
January 3 :: Baboushka and the three kings
January 4 :: The true gift : a Christmas story & The Christmas Gift / El regalo de Navidad
January 5 :: This is the Star
January 6 :: The Story of the Three Wise Kings
~ For Lucy:: Our bigger girl ~
In the early months of World War I, on Christmas Eve, men on both sides of the trenches laid down their arms and joined in a spontaneous celebration. Despite orders to continue shooting, the unofficial truce spread across the front lines. Even the participants found what they were doing incredible: Germans placed candlelit Christmas trees on trench parapets, warring soldiers sang carols, and men on both sides shared food parcels from home. They climbed from the trenches to meet in "No Man's Land" where they buried the dead, exchanged gifts, ate and drank together, and even played soccer
I read this last year, or maybe it was the year before. But I remember being so impressed with the miracle of that night. Lucy is just now old enough to read this, 14, but she is also touching on this part of our history in her studies. So, I think it's a good fit for her. Please know this is what we've opted for her to read aside from the picture books.
I'll have to add the links to the books a bit later. It's way too late for me now and my eyes are about to pop. *update; the links are up and there have been some addition and changes.
Happy readings!!!
You have a great list! I forgot about the Country Christmas Angel...
ReplyDeleteI love your list! I have done that in past year and it worked well to keep us on track. Do you like the St. Lucia book a lot?- I really want to purchase one for that feast day.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of Candle in the Window. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI see on your list some books that we love at our home too, and others I'll have to look at! Oh I do wish our evening reading was like yours :), with little ones snuggled and gazing a the pages. My little one is intent on unwrapping them all at once!!! Every child is different, I know, and I do love her enthusiasm. This is her first year that we have our books wrapped, so perhaps that is part of her excitement! God bless your Advent. I love your list, and thanks for all those links.
ReplyDeleteLaurie, I do like St. Lucia's book. I had it on my wish list for a while before I bought it. It's prefect to go with her feast day on Dec 13th. Jessica has a great (few) posts on her day's celebration. I think you'll enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteGardenia, Oh if you can only see the moments 'right' before the readings. It's a circus around here. Our home is pretty small so we are all cramming for play room in one location. But hey...they are little for only so long. So hectic, quiet, peaceful or loud..I'm trying to stay in the moment for as long as I'm blessed too. It's lovely the time you put in with your little Flower. She is so precious and your family posts reflect it. Have a very blessed Advent season too!!
Thank you for sharing! Inspiring!
ReplyDeleteLiving in Texas, I can't help but hold a special fondness for the Hispanic feast days in particular. There are so many beautiful books that showcase the lovely traditions and customs of the Mexican people. Thanks for sharing your list!
ReplyDelete